I sometimes wondered if, by establishing parliamentary democracy, we've come up with the ideal way of maintaining the status quo and feeling good, even smug, about it.  The political parties, including the left wing revolutionaries, are safely confined to legislatures and are allowed to get out on the streets to foment a very moderate form of rebellion only once ever four or five years, and they are not taken very seriously.  POG (peace, order and good government) is maintained by the bureaucracy, the military, the police and the courts.  The rich remain where they are, the middle class keeps its nose clean and looks after its own interests, and the poor try mainly to keep out of sight.  But for minor changes here and there, the whole system is gridlocked.  Some people may jump up and down shouting "Enough! Enough!" and the system may yawn, turn over a little bit, make some minor changes to shut the complainers up, but then go on very much as before.

That is why I sometimes think that we shouldn't really count on the system or on government or the politicians.  Many of the things that need to be done in society may ultimately depend on the individual, the voluntary agencies and the churches.  When the possibility of anything as scary as a revolution has been taken out of the equation, about the only thing that may be left is individual and institutional initiative and human compassion.  This is something that Mother Theresa understood.  Doing what she did is far beyond most of us, but she represents a far better model than most of our political leaders.

Ed Weick

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 11:29 AM
Subject: RE: [Futurework] Exit ramp for Europe (collateral damage on Tar Creek)

Arthur, who are the voices of enlightened self interest who can effect something from what many fear is runaway greed and despotism?  Where is that line in the sand that says, Enough?

Does Bill Gates’ philanthropy have to represent this class all by himself?  Who are the models for doing something today to prevent shirtless mobs in the future?  Warren Buffet wrote a biting opinion piece recently opposing the Bush2 tax cut plan.  Are these the only role models because they are fabulously wealthy?

Have we reached a point where the voices heard are just those at the top of the money pyramid and those grumbling at the bottom?  If so, then is that our only new cultural enlightenment of any voice?

I ask you this not as a challenge, but because I know you will apply thoughtfulness to a reply.

- KWC

That is why policy should appeal to the rich on the basis of "enlightened self-interest"  Redistribution today or be attacked by the "shirtless" mobs tomorrow.

PS I apologize for the font size here. While I am typing this my email program insists it is size 11 Arial, but it appears on my screen more like 7.5 and then when I see it afterwards it appears to be 12.  I have not been able to correct this with simple default changes, seems to be something else.