From: Karen Watters Cole [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 11:30 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Futurework] Exit ramp for Europe (collateral damage on Tar Creek)

Arthur, who are the voices of enlightened self interest who can effect something from what many fear is runaway greed and despotism? Where is that line in the sand that says, Enough?

Does Bill Gates' philanthropy have to represent this class all by himself? Who are the models for doing something today to prevent shirtless mobs in the future? Warren Buffet wrote a biting opinion piece recently opposing the Bush2 tax cut plan. Are these the only role models because they are fabulously wealthy?

Have we reached a point where the voices heard are just those at the top of the money pyramid and those grumbling at the bottom? If so, then is that our only new cultural enlightenment of any voice?

I ask you this not as a challenge, but because I know you will apply thoughtfulness to a reply.

- KWC

That is why policy should appeal to the rich on the basis of "enlightened self-interest" Redistribution today or be attacked by the "shirtless" mobs tomorrow.

PS I apologize for the font size here. While I am typing this my email program insists it is size 11 Arial, but it appears on my screen more like 7.5 and then when I see it afterwards it appears to be 12. I have not been able to correct this with simple default changes, seems to be something else.

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of Social Science of Los Angeles
Box 655   Tujunga   CA   91042
Tel: (818) 352-4141  --  Fax: (818) 353-2242
http://home.attbi.com/~haledward