Ray Evans Harrell wrote:
Brad,
[snip]
To decry ethnicites is popular with scientists and just shows that they
didn't think much about it or they are bad scientists.   "One species over
all!"    Right! (Irony)  That is just plain old bunk or more accurately,
ugly.
[snip]

I find few who criticize ethnicities from the perspective
I take (Husserl's notion of mankind's becoming
ever more self-accountable).  A while ago, I cited
(with high approval) the NYT report of a certain
tribe in Africa where the elders decided to
inventory all the customs of their culture, and
to keep the ones that seemed still constructive but
to throw out the ones that no longer seemed
well advised. *That's* a kind of thing
I would be cheered to see more of!

I do not argue that ethnicities are "all bad".  The
little Somali (etc.) girl who has her external
genitalia ripped out to perfect what God left not
quite finished gets something good in return:
she becomes a menber of her society instead of
being cast out to be eaten by the wild animals.

And, yes, I know, there are ethnic phenomena which
are straightforwardly good.  (I can't think of
any off hand....)

I simply am not part of the world of the
Bureau of Indian Affairs, either myself or
through the persons in my daily life,
so what they have done
and or are continuing to do is not something
that is part of my thoughts.  I certainly
do not see the "conquistadores" as culture heroes.

And I think one of the reasons we should control our
population is so that we don't need to exploit
other peoples to have decent lives for ourselves.

But maybe you are talking about something else with
denigrating "One species over
> all!" Here again, I have argued that, even for
reasons of enlightened selfishness, we should be
good conservators of other species (but: including
nurturing smallpox bacilli and oncogenes to
actualize their essences and achieve their
species goals?).

Maybe Western neo-Kantian (to grab a quick label...)
philosophers are the only beings
that don't have a "right to life"?

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]