Keith,

Not quite right.

Land, Labor, and Capital are indeed the Factors of production.

Wealth is their product completed and in the hands of the consumer.

I never suggested that Wealth was somehow equivalent to the other three. What I probably said was that everything on earth - indeed in the universe falls into one or the other of these four defined concepts.

But, not into more one than one. Their mutual exclusivity is their great strength and makes them eminently usable.

Where would we put 'innovation'? I would suggest with curiosity. You know there is only one place for them to go.

The names we use are merely labels for the serious stuff - the defined concepts. As I must have said, I wince when someone asks the definition of a word. A word can have a dozen meanings from a dozen people.

It is important that we use the same terms for the same defined concepts, not only for communication with others, but for easier reasoning. We use words for thinking. If our vocabulary is of poor quality, our thinking is likely to be of poor quality.

Yet, the labels are much less important than the defined concepts to which they are attached. The early Classical Analysts, in their imaginations, removed Man and his products from the earth. What was left they called Natural Resources. Then they brought Man back and to survive he had to use his physical and mental exertion on Natural resources to produce food, clothing, and shelter. These last were neither Natural Resources, nor were they Man.

So these products got the name Wealth.

The defined concept of Natural Resources got the name "Land", while human exertion, both mental and physical, was given the label "Labor". Of course, you have to get used to the idea that the Pacific Ocean, solar radiation, and the electromagnetic spectrum are "Land".

Although this can pose a small difficulty, an advantage is that the technical term Land is for most everyday purposes the same as the ordinary use of land - so conversation can be made - even though one is precise - the other a bit woolly.

The old definition of Capital was "Wealth used to produce more Wealth".

Capital brings in the concept of time. There is an interval between the beginning of production and the Wealth that results. The product still in the course of production is called Capital. In fact we may call any product in the production process - Capital.

I think that perhaps a major contribution of Henry George to this study was the care he used on his defined concepts. He cleaned up the inconsistencies shown by other writers from Adam Smith on and gave us a beginning to proper analysis.

So, not willing to leaves things alone, I've changed them. In a day or so, I'll send you a post that will be going to a slew of Georgists, telling them how they can improve on George's original Classical terms. That should rile them up.

But George said "in nothing trust to me" and "think for yourself".

If anyone else wants the post, I'll be happy to send it to them.

The important thing is that these terms apply to both the small group and the large corporation. The analysis is the same.

Keith wrote:

Harry and Brad,