Selma Singer wrote:

If one argues that mind has an existence of its own, why does it then follow that min is unfettered by physical laws?
[snip]

The way I look at it, we don't understand too much
of what's going on.  You know: every scientific discovery
increases the range of the things we know that
we don't understand even more than it extende the range of the
things we understand, etc.

*NOW* -- I happen to think good arguments can be adduced
why psycho-physics ("the mind is an epiphenomenon of
the brain", etc.... is wrong-headed, not just more or
less factually wrong -- i.e., it asks the wrong questions,
so, no matter what the answers, we're scr-wed....).

But, even if one accepts the misguided premises of the
debate, ther seems to me to be a choice:  sort of like
the daytime nightmares some of us experienced in
high school geometry trying to prove that the lumpenproposition
on the left side of the equals sign was really identical to the
lumpenproposition on the right side of the equals sign.
One4 could start from the right side or from the left
side (it was equally hopeless either way....).

If you start from the right side -- i.e., the side which
is RIGHT because God is a Thatcherite ---, then one
has to explain human freedom from the assumption of
universal physical determinism.

If you start from the left side (the anarchistic side...),
then you have to explain how human freedom can affect
physical matter.

Each project is, I propose, equally intractable. So....

Why not consider starting from the side that opens
opportunities for a creative human personal and social
world, rather than from the side that closes down
all opportunities?

As Heraclitus said some 2500 years ago:

    So great is the extent of soul,
    that you will not find its boundary anywhere.

Where's the mind?  Heck: Where's Osama?  Or, to
be really concrete about it: Where's Saddam?  (Answer:
In the bush.)

\brad mccormci

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]