> The only thing the US can do to avoid what lies ahead is to withdraw
fully,
> now, declaring victory for the deposition of Saddam Hussein and leaving
> behind a UN transition assistance role.
>
> Cheers,
> Lawry

I don't think it can do that, Lawry.  It's got itself in far too deeply.  To
withdraw now would be taken as a capitulation and huge sign of weakness to
all of the forces arrayed against it throughout the Muslim world.  It has to
hang in and be prepared to put its money where its mouth is.  As Niall
Ferguson argues, it's taken on the role of empire, and it had better be
prepared to play that role even if Bush turns out to be a one term president
and a saner bunch takes over in Washington.

Ed Weick