Hi, Brad,

I agree than the US role in the world since WWI has been a mixed bag; my
only point is that the US has done well in several important situations, and
could do even better if it put its mind to it.  Examples:

The Marshall Plan. Behind the scenes diplomacy between Greece and Turkey.
reconstruction of Japan. Effective countering the UK/French/Israeli invasion
of Egypt in 1956, and support for the nationalization of the Suez Canal.
termination of the Panama Canal Lease. Significant aid for approximately.
80-110 countries for humanitarian, social and economic purposes.
International fountain of technology and science. Host to hundreds of
thousands of foreign students. Major supporter of the ILO's efforts to bring
industrial and maritime safety to all countries. Etc.

Yes, you will probably assert that we could have done better in many of
these areas than we did do -- no argument. But let us recognize what the US
HAS done well, and give it credit for doing so.

And yes, we have our embarrassments big and small -- Arbenz and Mossadegh
being but examples -- and have done much harm, sometimes deliberately,
sometimes out of ignorance or naivete.

But the good things that the US can do seem to me to hold out much promise
for being able to do good things in the future, in spite of the
Bush/Crusade/Empire nonsense, and I would like to point us toward trying to
make it so. The US is enormously wealthy, enormously talented, and immensely
ignorant.  A virulent intolerance is sweeping our country right now.

We have much to do.

Cheers,
Lawry