Apologies for the shock, Ray.  However, the Americans are in Iraq.  They have replaced Saddam as the power sitting on a potential powder keg.  Having taken on that role, they have to stay there, whether people are taking pot shots at them or not.  As a I suggested in a previous posting, they need help, lots of it, and are now beginning to recognize it.  Pacifying and stabilizing Iraq is in everybody's interest and the US has to find a way to manoever it's unilateral position into a multilateral one.

Ed Weick

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Taliban on the increase

What will likely happen in Iraq if the Americans walk out is a bloodbath.
> Various factions there, religious or ethnic, do not appear to like each
> other very much.  As long as the Americans stay, they have a common enemy.
> If the Americans leave, they'll only have themselves.

Excuse me Ed but from your usually logical posts I was shocked to see the above statement.   So we are supposed to put our citizen military in the line of fire so that the Alpha Male dominant theology of Islam can take pot shots at us and save their lives?     And where is the jolly rest of the lazy world in all of this?    I don't like that America treats the world as a natural resource to be mined but I also don't support that the rest of the world sits on its lazy hands and refuses to participate in international problems except on their own terms.    If Europe had been less self-serving in places like Bosnia and Africa then those of us in America resisting Bush would have had a much better case to make against the war in Iraq.

I don't support putting my relatives in the military out there to separate people who are so chauvinistic and provincial that they can't imagine living together without being on top.     I realize that Hitler was the result of such nonsense but America could have been less judgmental and more helpful in the German transition from WW I and we would have had a shot at avoiding Hitler.   I also feel that we blew it in Russia after the fall of Communism but this case of our being "sitting duck policemen" is not the right time or the right place for us to be.   I would prefer they go through their human sacrifice routine that they are bound to do and when the time is right we help the people who are capable of negotiation and international affairs as well as being good leaders for their own people.    Support the education and sophistication of the people and do not support the Rubes no matter how much they will sell the oil cheaply to our Republican businessmen.

Ray Evans Harrell