As ex-Pres. Ronald Reagan said, "here we go again......"

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Hudson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 5, 2003 3:24 PM
To: Ray Evans Harrell
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Tragedy in Iran, too

At 12:51 05/09/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I think the only problem you have is to assume that trade creates freedom.

I don't have a problem. I gave some historical evidence that when Islam was
an active trading network in the Mediterranea it was a liberal and
scholarly regime.

>I would respectfully suggest that is a typical western mistake.   The
>reverse is true.   Prosperity didn't create freedom for pre-Columbian
>America but prosperity flowed from the necessity for empathy and respect
and
>freedom was the result of both.   Trade naturally followed.   I don't think
>you can make the case anywhere today that trade implies freedom in fact the
>reverse is true in many cases where humans are enslaved to create efficient
>trade.    Work doesn't make free.    Neither does trade.

Would you please give some relevant historical evidence as I've done, and
then I might be able to understand you.

Keith Hudson

Keith Hudson, 6 Upper Camden Place, Bath, England,
<www.evolutionary-economics.org>