From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Ed Weick
Sent: Fri, September 26, 2003 5:52 AM
To: pete; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Myopia (fwd)

Something I read on Egypt suggested that upper and middle class young, often well educated, look around themselves and see their country in a mess and with a corrupt government propped up by funding from the US.  In Saudi Arabia, the educated young see a corrupt, enormously wealthy regime kept in place by American oil revenues and deals on military bases.  In Iran, they see a paranoid, repressive regime isolated and hemmed in by the US.  In Jordan, they have to live with Israel, their next door neighbour, kept there by the US.  And, in Iraq, they now live in a country wrecked by the US.  Who to blame, who to hate, who to take terrorist actions against?  Why the Americans, of course!

Ed