Barry wrote:
Have we all forgotten the Milgrim experiments? (For a really quick refresher, you might try Milgrim <http://www.new-life.net/milgram.htm> (http://www.new-life.net/milgram.htm). Enjoy!

Barry

Ed Weick wrote:

From Adolph Eichmanns closing statement:

    My life's principle, which I was taught very early on, was to
    desire and to strive to achieve ethical values. >From a particular
    moment on, however, I was prevented by the State from living
    according to this principle. I had to switch from the unity of
    ethics to one of multiple morals. I had to yield to the inversion
    of values which was prescribed by the State.

Just doin' my job suh, just doin' my job. It was the boss, suh, not me.

I only know about Eichmann what I've read in newspaper articles and such. Eichmann has become a symbol of the person who exculpates themself by saying they were just following orders even though, as in his case, they were relatively highly placed.

The quote does not sound to me quite so "simple".  It sounds to
me more like Eichmann was childreared to be "good" in an environment
where goodness was defined in terms of obeying the values of
the persons in authority (initially one's parents).  Had
he been on *our* side, he would, at worst, have had a
successful career, and perhaps have received some public
recognition of his good service to the values we hold dear.
I can posibly imagine Abraham saying something similar when
ordered to kill his son Isaac, had he been brought
before some tribunal.

I don't have a pithy "moral" to draw from this.
And maybe Eichmann really thought "Just doin' my job suh",
but that is not exactly what the quote seems to me to say.
The words say the man believes he has a conscience and
that he tried to live acording to it.

Well, maybe here's one "moral" to draw: Darned lucky
persons don't often get put in a position similar to
Eichmann's.  But managers (teachers and other
persons in positions of authority) often, I think, do things
to those over whom they have power, that are less than decent.

I find Eichmann's articulation of his position scary.
I also find scary those who are less articulate but not
less at risk for doing bad things if put in a bad situation.
I also am concerned that, the way articulate discourse
is deployed very eloquently and seemingly
cogently (or, as in postmodernism, incomprehensibly...)
for causes that may not be so good, in our time,
it is harderfor us to tell what is good and what is not
good than if "we" didn't do such a good job of
defending some pretty bad things in such areas
as treatment of employees, students, and other
persons in positions of powerlesness.

Just like with "911" and similar incidents, I think
we should invest a lot of our efforts in seeing
how conditions we take to be normal and OK contributed
to enabling the catstrophe to happen to us.

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]