A few comments in blue.

Ed Weick
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 2:43 PM
Subject: [Futurework] Lumps of unskilled labour

It is good to read America's premier left-of-centre economist, Paul Krugman, writing in today's New York Times about the "lump of labour" fallacy and trying once again to put it to rest. This is the delusion that re-emerges periodically when trade unions, or even white-collar groups, start to panic at what seems to be a surge in the number of jobs leaving their own country and going abroad where labour is cheaper. At the present time, this mainly concerns manufacturing jobs leaving for China and some sorts of middle-skill white collar jobs leaving for India.

If you believe that there is a fixed number of jobs in a country then it is logical to deduce that if some of them are out-sourced to other countries then unemployment at home is bound to rise. However, the premise is wrong because it implies that no new jobs ever get created. Presumably, the number of jobs was divinely created once and for all, and must therefore be protected. The problem with this is that, without competition,  the protected businesses inevitably become more inefficient as time goes by and the goods they produce become more costly than they needed to have been if they had been made abroad. A country that protects its jobs and begins to cut itself off from the rest of the world inevitably spirals downwards, with an increasingly lower standard of living. This something that happened for decades in the Soviet Union before the system finally gave way under the strain in1992 despite Gorbachev's valiant attempts to forestall it.
I think one has to figure time into this.  In the short-run, declines in particular industrial sectors or the outsourcing of jobs will leave people stranded.  In the medium to long run, the economy and the labour force may adjust, but it should not be taken for granted that it will.  During the past century or so, Canada has seen a large scale movement from primary industries to secondary manufacturing to services.  This movement has left many communities and many workers stranded.

To remain in the game, each country must be continuously creating new products and new jobs. However, there are two problems with this scenario. The first has been considered by only a few economists; the second, to my knowledge, has never been considered by any economist at all so far .

The first is problem was first raised by the Prof Fred Hirsch, an economics professor at Warwick University in his book, The Social Limits to Growth (1976) that was published not long before he died while in his 30s. He was mainly thinking of goods, services and facilities that would be so much in demand by consumers that their very supply would cause congestion and a deterioration in the environment for all. My own elaboration of this is a slightly narrower one but, with the beneift of hindsight, a more powerful one, I think. This is that the main congestion that will strangle economic growth is that of lack of time and attention by the prime consumer group -- the middle-class -- the class with enough disposable income that always initiates new consumer items that are profitable enough to drive the whole system. Increasingly, this class -- what I call the initiatory class -- are now so time-starved and stressed in normal daily and weekly life that they can barely cope with the consumer goods that they already use in their limited spare time, never mind buying more.

Or maybe they are just tired of the glut of stuff and don't want any more?

The second problem is that there must be natural limits to the abilities of a population to respond to higher job-skill requirements. In the prevalent political philosophy of the last 30 or 40 years or so, the supply of skills was never seen to be a problem because a government could simply pour more resources into education. However, today, we need a growing proportion of very high-skill people to keep the system going. Unlike 'New Age' thinkers who believe that there are no limits to the abilities of the brain, those who are more practically involved with this problem -- educationalists and neuroscientists -- know that our brains are as finite in their processing abilities as they are in size.

What you may have is something one might call a "betrayal factor".  A few years ago, high tech was in full flight in the Ottawa area, then known as "Silicon Vally North".  Ever so many bright young people bought into the industry, learned the necessary skills, got high paying jobs, etc.  Then the whole thing began to crash.  People got very badly burned.  They had skills but little to transfer them to.  The next wave of young people would likely be more cautious in what they committed themselves to learn.  They would likely opt for a broader, more universally transferable set of skills.

The first problem above is already being recognised as such and is usually termed the 'work-life balance' problem -- and it is growing. We are not entering the life of leisure and abundance that many futurologists foretold a generation ago despite the fact that we have more energy, technology and automation than ever before. Life is becoming more stressful, particularly for those with professional responibilities. The second problem doesn't register at all in the public consciousness yet. However, in events such as the Chernobyl and Half Mile Island nuclear accidents, the increasing number of electricity grid blackouts, the rapid spread of antibiotic-resistant staphylococci and new varieties of influenza, and so on, we have the first hints that we are beginning to live right on the edge of our expertise.

Ah, yes, but I do think we learn from our experience.  If new nuclear plants are built, they will be less prone to failure.  I guess what I'm saying is that it is not really the capacity of the brain that is important here.  It is the accumulation of knowledge that the collective brain has to work with.  We now know, or should know, far more than we did in the fifties, sixties and seventies when the nuclear plants and power grids that we still work with were put in place.  There is good reason to believe that it would be done better now and will probably be done even better thirty years from now.

Ed