Karen,

Thanks for the link to the interesting conversation between Jaffe, Elguindi and Vaitheeswaran that you've found. For those interested, I follow with it below, de-bugged and in plain ASCII.

It can be summarised quite briefly: 1. Yes, Iraq has an enormous amount of oil -- probably the second-largest reserves in the world; 2. Bush and co were more concerned with this than anything else when planning the invasion of Iraq; 3. The oil corporations are the only bodies that have the money and the expertise to bring about solid development of the oilfields over a period of years sufficient to bring in enough income to put Iraq on its feet; 4. The oil corporations will have nothing to do with Iraq until there's a legitimate government in Iraq -- and this doesn't mean the provisional American authority that's there now because future (national) courts of law might decide that it was illegitimate and revoke all legal agreements and, indeed, impose penalties.

So what does all this mean right now? Remember that mercantile law of various sorts (Chinese, Indian, Islamic, Jewish, European -- all largely similar except in cases where specific religious law intervened in one port or another [e.g. concerning inheritances of merchants who died during contracts]) -- and based on trust was developed for trade over many centuries between merchants residing in ports of disparate types of principalities and free cities and long before the homogenous type of nation-state governments crystallised and appropriated all the mercantile law. Or tried to! They can cow most businesses but not all. They still can't prevent private understandings (whether between 'criminal' businesses such as the mafia, or formally 'legitimate' businesses) and where there are really major disputes between large corporations they are still adjudicated according to the traditions of the common law of New York which is a sort of hold-all residue of past private mercantile law*. But this is outside the ambit of US federal law, and oil corporations would have no recourse to New York common law if their problems involved governments such as the US or pseudo-governments such as that which obtains in Iraq right now.

So the refusal of the large corporation to cooperate was a body blow to Cheney. My guess is that, originally, Cheney was intending to set up Enron (as an 'energy' corporation) to be a 'legitimate' holding corporation which would then make agreements with the oil corporations. In this way, oil corporations might possibly have gone along with Cheney's plans because they would have had recourse to NY common law in case of disputes. (I'm sure this is why Cheney won't release the detailed discussions he had with Enron pre Sept 11.) But, of course, Enron can't be used as an intermediary now.

(*It will be interesting to see if and when large Chinese corporations accede to this practice. Almost certainly they will in due course, even if the hearings themselves take place in Beijing and not New York!)

Keith