Well put although I value Keith's observations.   I do however agree with
your conclusion.   One thing I would add is over emphasis on the external.
Red meat to someone who see, hears, tastes and smells, in the sense of a
life skill,  is not the same as to a sedantary person.    Using our "bodies
as instruments" creates different nutritional needs and abilities to use
what we take in.   It isn't just about "exercise" but actual "technique" or
skills at using our perceptions.    Most American as perceptually ignorant
except visually.    Complex music is beyond them and the reason for complex
music is unimportant to them.   Modern music is not an "ear opener" but a
"mind clogger" for these folks.    (Even Keith has referred to music as
"dead" finished in the history of world except for entertainment from the
past.)   Obviously I disagree but why?    Is it possible that we percieve
differently?     Or that maybe our universes are not even the same?   I have
my differences with you Chris that I have felt were from culture
perspectives.   But only through having all of our faculties available to us
can we be on the same "page" so to speak, as we discuss these issues.
Otherwise we must do the homework to find a unified frame of reference
before we can begin.

Hunter-Gatherers had such a specific universe that all inhabited that
projecting generalities is easy.   However, I would add that anyone who
knows real "Hunter-Gatherers" knows that it is an inadaquate description of
what they do.   They are more akin to foresters who develop the woods than
simple wanderers who just take what is available.    They have elaborate
strategies for the development of game and plant needs as well as medical
strategies that are not unlike the sophisticated Japanese nutritional
theories.

So the two things I would add are 1. the body side of the equation and 2.
that any stories about the past must be rigorous in their research before
applicable theories can be useful.

Ray Evans Harrell