"All human beings should try to learn before they die what they are
running from, and to, and why." (James Thurber)

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad McCormick, Ed.D. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 5:30 PM
To: Keith Hudson
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Our mysterious universe

Keith Hudson wrote:
> For those who like to ponder on the mysteriousness of the universe and
> the significance (or not) of our place within it, the following article
> from the /New York Times /of a recent conference on cosmology is
> fascinating indeed.
[snip]
> And it was time for lunch.
[snip]

Who is studying the mysteriousness of themselves having lunch
with their peers?  (Husserl et Cie.)

The more intently one looks for one's glasses, the less
chance of seeing then are on one's nose. (Apres Heidegger)

And, you know what?  The reflective study of our
lived daily life (AKA phenomenology,
hermeneutics, etc.) doesn't require anywhere near the
level of funding that discovering forms of matter
that we could never encounter in our daily life world
requires.  (Don't get me wrong, I have no objection to
spending zillions on zilliotrons, but I would
like to see a little attention paid to human existence
as lived -- a subject many high-level scientists probably
have little interest in because they're so
fascinated by their zilliotrons and speculations).

Far more interesting to me than any exotic subatomic particle
is the perverse (which is *a* form of
exoticism...) relation between professor and grad student,
professor and secretary, professor and janitor, etc.

"Yours in discourse...."

\brad mccormck, z.e.k.

--
   Let your light so shine before men,
               that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]