That comes from leaving your culture behind but being secure in it.   Your children will be different if they are forced to study their own heritage and character from a distance.  I see it daily, these lost souls who try to find the center of their existance and create something from their lost identity.   Being two legged, is as we all are, but rising above the conventional, demands that you know the conventional before you have any consciousness to rise above.     Economics doesn't demand self-knowledge but art does.

REH

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 5:34 PM
Subject: RE: [Futurework] Our mysterious universe

Ray,

I've spent most of my teaching life being " anti-multicultural".

I've concentrated on how similar people are.

A person's culture and customs -- the clothes that he wears and the religions he practices -- are much less important than his alikeness to other people.

The differences are superficial and can be a lot of fun, but we should never forget that the Indian teacher of music in New York and the ancient teacher of economics in Los Angeles are the same underneath their exteriors.

Which ain't bad!

Harry