Hi Karen,

As to the Stratfor Weekly I think its prognosis is wildly wrong. Whoever is writing it is high on something!

My answer is No.  I think 9/11 was probably at the limit of Al Qaeda's organisational and technical limit. I think that the authorities in Germany, France, England, US have either caught, or frightened, most of the important Al Qaeda cells -- such as they were. This isn't to say that they're not capable of a lot of damage on their home ground -- Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere in the Middle East -- but I've been amazed why Al Qaeda haven't been able to follow up 9/11 by other substantial attacks in western countries. Just think what could be done if they really had anything about them --  bombs in the Metro, poisoning water supplies, a few bombs in the elevator shafts and stairways of tall buildings! It hardly bears thinking about -- but they haven't achieved this! -- except a pathetic, exceedingly unintelligent chap, who couldn't even set light to his shoe bomb! It would have been a disaster, yes, but that seems to be the total follow-up that they tried to achieve after 9/11.

No, I think that the recent attacks in Baghdad were nothing to do with Ramadan -- that was pure coincidence. More troubling to the Americans must be that they were timed for Wolfowitz's visit which means that Al Qaeda/Sunnis/Saddam's henchmen/whomever had insider knowledge sufficiently long beforehand to organise. It probably means that the Americans will be unlikely to send anybody important again to Iraq. It also means that no country except for a few Ukrainian and Polish troops (whose governments need US$s) are going to set foot in Iraq in the coming months. Even Blair refuses to send more (though he doesn't say so publicly.)

I don't think there's any possibility at all of concerted attacks in Los Angeles, Sydney, Rio de Janiero, Madrid, etc. What a lot of nonsense! (There might well be further attacks such as the Bali incident but they will be locally organised affairs -- not Osama-planned.)

They'll keep on at it in Iraq, though! I see that they blew up an Abram tank yesterday. Now that *is* something for the Americans to worry about! I think that a refusal by American troops to go out on patrol is not far off now.

Bush is now a very, very worried man. His (Cheney/Rumsfeld/Perle/Wolfowitz) Iraq strategy is now in tatters with no prospect of any advancement at all now that the big American-UK oil corporations refuse to make a contract with the Coalition Authority. The Russians are now being mischievous by saying that, as far as they're concerned, Lukoil's original contract with Saddam for the development of the vast West Qurna oil field is stilllegal and still stands!! (Which, of course, it is under international law.) Not only this, but that they could proceed with it *even now* because they would employ Iraqi labour and not the Pakistanis and Philippinos that Bechtel and Halliburton are employing because their executives are frightened of being assassinated!!

Bush must realise now that he is unlikely to be re-elected -- he'll probably lose another 20 points in the polls in the next couple of months  -- unless he does something dramatic very shortly. He could, I suppose, blame America's woes on the Chinese renminbi exchange rate and pick a row with them over Taiwan or something like that so that if the economy doesn't pick up well in the spring he already has a scapegoat.

Or he could change his team in a major way, blaming them for his Iraq policy. I wouldn't be surprised if he cleans most of them out in the next month or two, and then withdraws from Iraq in the spring leaving them with an outline constitution and hoping that the bloodbath between Saddam+Sunnis against the Shias doesn't follow on too quickly to spoil the November election.

No, on reflection, It think he'll (a) change his team pretty soon, (b) push a new constitution, (c) carry out a pseudo sort of general election in Iraq which will hopefully produce a rickety sort of Iraqi government that will hold the peace with American forces, (d) then hope that he'll win his own election in November -- and (e) then pull out. (Or, probably, the next president will.) And then there'll  be the bloodbath -- and then the Russian Lukoil and the French and the Chinese oil companies that had contracts with Saddam previously will go back in and start pumping oil.

You know ....... the one thing that Bush so far has never admitted to ........ the humiliation of not catching Saddam so far. I've hitherto thought this was inevitable, but now I'm thinking that Saddam might even remain uncaught and then re-emerge as president of Iraq again -- even as Bush takes to the bottle on his Texan ranch!

We'll see!  It's a fascinating tale of human folly -- if it wasn't so tragic. (The BBC TV team visited a big Baghdad hospital a couple of days ago -- one of the main hospitals. There was only one baby incubator there. If the American army can't even organise this then it's even more incompetent than I'd realised previously.)

Keith