"Blueprint for a Mess," The New York Times Magazine (2 November 2003) by David Rieff

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/02/magazine/02IRAQ.html

It’s been another busy FW weekend.  Stephen Straker posted Rieff’s work on Saturday with a succinct note.  I made a go at responding late Sunday afternoon and posted sections 5 & 6. Keith has downloaded the whole thing this morning with commentary under another subject heading.  We have surely succeeded in giving it good broadcast coverage and hopefully someone other than the three of us read it!

I agree that Rieff reinforced the perception that this was about oil by the circumstantial evidence of the soldier’s protecting just that ministry, but to me the impact of that section was not that it proved a point but that he added damning weight to the incredible lack of priority in after battle planning.  To me, it’s like differentiating between homicide and premeditated murder.  It’s now ‘beyond a reasonable doubt’ that Bush2 went over its head based on false pretenses, not just false evidence.

How simple it could have been to protect all of the buildings and plan to have enough soldiers and tanks there to do it.  What a different image that would have projected, after all that publicity and demonstration of our ‘shock and awe’ precise bombing capability.

It is infuriating to know that men and women are dead unnecessarily and treasure lost needlessly because ideologues in one department deliberately froze out another in the pursuit of their textbook plans.  How stupid to freeze out Arabists and the foundational democracy work of the Future of Iraq project.  It was a callous, myopic and reckless thing to do, but that is what happens in a ‘zealous mode’ and protecting one’s power.

Miz Molly (Ivins) wrote recently, in response to the conservative media counterattack on GDubya’s increasingly vocal critics, it is not rage but anger that is building here.  Anger can be productive, rage is not.

As to the gross generalization that Bush2 critics are gleeful with death counts and mistakes on the ground to prove their point, let me unequivocally say that ‘raising hell’ about what is not right, pointing out what is wrong and where death and sacrifice have been made for naught is not gleeful work, but is often necessary to chip away at the powerful imagery that can be abused by those in power, intimidating and confusing ‘sheeple’.  Not everyone will understand the ramifications of every policy decision and each diplomatic affront, but they do understand when a President does not appear at military funerals to honor those who followed his command into combat, they do understand when they sense preferential treatment for one elite over the greater common interest in national security, domestic and foreign policy, they do recognize scandal and corruption, and I hope they will recognize in good time an imbalance in the system that needs correction.  The pen is indeed mightier than the sword and some of us ‘hellraisers’ plan to use it. – KWC

Keith Hudson, Bath, England, <www.evolutionary-economics.org>, <www.handlo.com>, <www.property-portraits.co.uk>