I'm using a voice recognition program instead of typing and have to use it outside my new E-Mail program and transfer it across. I'll get it right. On the other hand if I can get a little cowing from it   .  .  .  .  ?

Good to hear you at last Harry,

REH
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 8:53 PM
Subject: RE: [Futurework] Our mysterious universe

Ed,

You saw the wonder of the sky and reacted to it. However, the sky had no wonder - the wonder was in you. Later you saw the sky through a telescope, and read or heard people who looked through telescopes and transmitted their wonder to you.

So, we find out more and more about things and some of the knowledge may be true. Yet, in the case of the Almighty, what do we know about him that we didn't know yesterday, or last year, or a millennium or two ago?

I am not an atheist, nor am I in denial. I suspect they are words made up to categorize those who wonder about the wondering. Rather like the opponents of Global Warming being labeled dissidents ("people who dissent from some established policy").

There is simply nothing that leads me to believe that God exists. There is nothing I would like better when the great cold creeps around my bones than to wake up and have a cup of tea with Gwen. But, unfortunately it won't happen.

Does God exist? Could be but I have seen nothing to suggest it. (Even though on the screen at the moment an Episcopal Minister is telling us what God said about homosexuality.)

You said: "I think that respect for mystery and compassion for all living things are the essence of religion.  In my books, even if one denies having a religion but is doing those things, one is being religious."

Touché!

I'm using a voice recognition program instead of typing and have to use it outside my new E-Mail program and transfer it across. I'll get it right. On the other hand if I can get a little cowing from it   .  .  .  .  ?

Harry