Keith,

The Toronto Star, this morning, reported an increase, again, in the levels
of business and personal bankruptcies in Canada.  Recently, the CBC website
reported the following concerning consumer indebtedness in Canada:

      Personal debt at record level in Canada: study
      Last Updated Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:22:26
      OTTAWA - Canadians have a little more cash in their wallets but are
piling up more personal debt, suggests a five-year study from a social
activist group.

      The Canadian Council on Social Development (CCSD) released "The
Personal Security Index, 2003" Monday, a review of Canadian life from 1998
to 2002.

      "(Canadians) have on average a little more money in their pockets -
but a little less confidence that it will buy them what they need," said
report co-author Spyridoula Tsoukalas.

            % of Canadians living below poverty line
              1993 2000
            Total 18 14.7
            Families 14.6 11
            Single individuals 40.5 37.3
            Children in two-parent families 13.5 11.4
            Children in single-parent families 63.3 47.6
            Source: Canadian Council on Social Development
      The amount of disposable income (income left over after taxes) grew by
$1,500 from 1998 to 2001, says the report.

      But Canadians are reaching record levels of personal debt, borrowing
more to buy homes and goods.

      The study compares mortgage and consumer debt to disposable income. In
2002 Canadians borrowed an equivalent of 98.4 per cent of their disposable
income; in 1984 it was 56 per cent.

      People living in Alberta are most likely to say their income is
adequate to meet their basic needs (54 per cent), while people living in
British Columbia are least likely (21 per cent).

      The study tackles attitudes toward health care across the country. It
suggests Canadians are losing faith they will get the care they need.

      "(Canadians) have less confidence in their access to key government
services such as health care - and hold little hope that the situation will
change," said Tsoukalas.

      In 2002, 53 per cent of Canadians feel they could access health-care
services. That's down from 59 per cent in 1998. And only 40 per cent of
Canadians feel the government can do something to improve the situation.

      People living in the Atlantic provinces had the most faith in the
health-care system (61 per cent), while people in B.C. had the least (43 per
cent).

      Written by CBC News Online staff

      H e a d l i n e s : C a n a d a

        a.. School closed, arrests made in seiner dispute
        b.. Agency uncovers $22 million of suspected terrorist funds
        c.. NDP majority in Saskatchewan
        d.. Sampson to testify about torture at Saudi jail
        e.. Ottawa asks U.S. for explanation of Arar case, but turns down
public inquiry
        f.. Star witness at Air India trial fears for her life
        g.. Pig farm search ends, murder investigation continues
        h.. PM cheered at final caucus meeting
        i.. High profile Tories opposed to merger launch committee
        j.. Police raids net Hells Angels lawyer
        k.. Senate commitee wants national health protection agency
        l.. Alberta school chucks junk food
        m.. Faulty transmission lines to blame for blackout

            Terms of Use | Privacy | Copyright | Other Policies