Bill,

At 08:42 06/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Keith,

I have a small import business and track shipping rates. Shipping rates
recently have doubled, tripled, and even quadrupled in some places
primarily due to China's release of a pent up demand for raw materials
and for other imports. Ship yards are tied up building double hulled
ships for oil transport so they won't be able to build merchant marine
ships any time soon. Import/export business is going to be hit hard and
the WTO is going to become irrelevant soon. This is going to accelerate
the crash.

Bill

Interesting. Yes, China's production grew by almost 20% for most of this year and investment by 30% -- quite unprecedented and taking up to a quarter of the whole world's use of resources -- aluminium, iron ore, zinc, copper and, of course rapidly increasing quantities of oil.

The GDP of the US is supposed to have grown by 7.2% in the last quarter but this is really very suspect and I'm astonished by how many economic journalists are getting carried away by euphoria. At least a third of this is fictitious, due to adding notional quality of efficiency gains to products even if their price hasn't changed and some of it will simply be re-filling inventories. It will collapse next quarter -- emormous peaks like this always do so and, if consumers stop spending -- be it by ever so little -- the whole economy could start collapsing on itself . If Greenspan can't prevent deflation then consumer and company debts will grow materially larger even if the notional debt remains the same.

Keith