Hi!

This description of French grade school teaching certainly ties in to my own ideas of teaching, even to holding back a student who cannot handle the next grade. (Something good for both him and his classmates.

They also practice early speaking to their classes from upfront.

And note that they go on to secondary education at 11.

telegraph.co.uk

LEARNING FROM THE FRENCH By Angie Power (Filed: 11/11/2003)

I have lived in France for 22 years and, as  the  mother  of  two
young sons, I find there is a lot to admire in the French primary
school system. Indeed, anyone who  believes  in  the  rigours  of
traditional  three  Rs  teaching  need  look   no   further   for
inspiration.

From the start, French children are taught joined-up writing.  On
the first day at primary school, teachers begin with  the  letter
"a", and the children copy it out time and time  again  on  their
slates or white boards until every stroke and shape  is  correct.
Day two will be the letter "b" and so on, until day  26  and  the
letter "z".

French children write on squared paper that resembles  our  maths
paper: the curves and stems of every letter start and  finish  at
precise points  in  the  square.  That  explains  why  everyone's
handwriting is so similar in France.  Rigorous,  repetitious  but
successful rote  learning  is  a  feature  of  French  arithmetic
teaching, too. By the time a child is eight, he usually knows all
his multiplication tables. My son  answered  10  questions  every
morning in class to the beat of a metronome. "Five times  eight",
tick; "nine times nine", and so  on,  the  children  writing  the
answers down on the tick.

Initially, I was horrified at the stress he was being  put  under
every morning, but he seemed to take it in his stride. As he  got
better, he actually looked forward to the lessons. By the end  of
the year, it was "five times eight plus nine times seven",  tick.
Traditional  mental  arithmetic  has  always  been  regarded   as
important and there has never been any question of calculators in
primary schools.

So much is achieved in French  primary  schools  because  parents
play an important part. Every child has a cahier de  textes  -  a
homework book for parents to see and sign. There  is  no  written
homework at this age but lots of learning by heart must  be  done
at home - poems, verbs, historical facts, even La Marseillaise.

I do not know any parent who does not take school work seriously.
They always know what their children have been studying  and  are
encouraged to work  on  any  weak  spots.  Parents  do  not  feel
overcome by the vastness of education; rather, they feel part  of
it.

French teachers believe in tests. My sons have small tests once a
week and more detailed ones - controles - about every two months.
A mother knows by heart what her  child's  average  mark  is  and
where he comes in class. If his test performance is poor, a child
will stay in the same form for a second year. My  sons  have  had
children in their classes who have been two years older than  the
rest because they have not gone up a form with their peers.

Primary school teaching revolves around a national curriculum. If
your child moves school to the other  side  of  France,  the  new
school will be doing exactly the same programme.

My children are used to speaking in public because they do a  lot
of recitation at school. After learning a poem, or the planets in
the solar system, at home, they recite it to the class  the  next
day.

I used to shrink at the idea of my son standing at the  front  on
his teacher's platform with the children facing him in rows. Then
French mothers explained that they believed recitation improves a
child's memory. I certainly think it can give a child confidence.
Teaching a foreign language - usually English - begins by the age
of nine  at  the  latest,  when  an  hour-and-a-half  a  week  is
compulsory. The emphasis is on oral work and basic vocabulary and
includes memorised forms of how to introduce  yourself  and  give
your personal details.

The aim is not formally  to  teach  a  foreign  language  but  to
accustom the children to hearing and saying unfamiliar words  and
sounds. By the time they start their secondary education  at  11,
when formal foreign language lessons  begin,  they  are  used  to
participating verbally.

There is much to admire in the French system. But I find the same
is true when I talk to French mothers about the  English  system.
They are impressed by the character building, the team  work  and
the way that creative, questioning minds are  encouraged.  It  is
good to swap notes, don't you think?

Henry George School of Social Science of Los Angeles
Box 655   Tujunga   CA   91042
Tel: 818 352-4141           -----          Fax: 818 353-2242
HYPERLINK http://home.comcast.net/~haledward/ http://home.comcast.net/~haledward/