>>> ... Everything is true, sometime and someplace.    For me the issue is our being
>>> able to choose the world that we wish to florish in and to raise our own children
>>> so that they can be free to do the same without losing all of that "rear-end"
>>> knowledge. <<<<

Well said, Ray. Well done!

Reminds me of the ideas of that fabulous (& too much
overlooked) British historian and philosopher RG Collingwood
(1889-1943). Collingwood argued that human knowledge is
nothing more *nor less* than the *history* of everything
that ever has been (successfully) known, each in its time
and place - rather like TS Kuhn's notion of "paradigms" but
more deeply historical.

(Could see RG Collingwood, *The Idea of Nature* and/or *The
Idea of History*.)

PS - I thought Hobbes best to make the case for the
irreducible reality of social/civic entities since Hobbes
begins, as you note, from a very hard-line reductionist
materialism. Yet he comes out on the right side of things (I
think).

best wishes,

Stephen Straker
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>