Arthur,

We could start by getting rid of the patent system that
articially raises drug prices along with the bottom lines of the
huge drug companies. This money helps them pay off Congress.

If you saw the Bill Moyer show on Friday you would appreciate why
Eisenhower originally intended to call it the
military-industrial-congressional complex.

Of course the other privileges should also go - primarily the one
that gives some people the ability to collect Economic Rent - or
rather an amount much higher than economic Rent, because the
price mechanism doesn't control Rent. Thus it becomes something
known throughout history - rack-rent - the path to poverty for
generations of peasants.

So, we are back to the problems in the article. If the basics are
not dealt with, such problems will always be with us. But as
Thoreau said: "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of
evil to one who is striking at the root . . . . "

So, I'll keep striking, perhaps to little avail, leaving the rest
of you to get sweaty hacking away at those branches. Of course
there is great benefit to doing that, That's the psychological
uplift that reformers get even if nothing of consequence is
accomplished. I know - I've been one.

So, work on a dozen or a hundred programs designed to ameliorate
rather than end misery. It passes the time.

Harry

PS It costs $266 a month for a 59 year old to join Kaiser. That
$275 for Ms Pard's nine year old seem a bit stiff.

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net