Harry, I think making school voluntary is a recipe for social chaos since
those who don't want school and are supported would add to the high rate
delinquency as has happened in the past.   On the other hand making classes
voluntary has worked as students are required to come to school but to go to
what ever class they want or to do what they want as long as it is at school
and supervised.    Gradually those schools like Montessori and Summerhill
have created a good educational experience for a wide range of students.
The key is to make a set of requirements for graduation that are clear and
that the student can elect to achieve however they wish.     My daughter was
ill for two years and home schooled herself passing with good grades and has
shown a remarkable degree of responsibility in college thus far as well.
I wouldn't recommend illness but we gave her a great deal of freedom in
choosing how she would achieve.   She also refused to graduate when the
school thought that graduation with her class was more important than her
skills.   She wisely chose to stay back and complete the courses.    We have
always taught her that it was achievement that was the point rather than
punching the clock.    That something wasn't done until it was finished no
matter what the work day said.   Admittedly my daughter is anecdotal but I
have taught in Summerhill Schools and have experience with the Montessori
schools as well as having done five years of educational research on these
questions in the teaching of music.   At certain times music should be
required while at others it should be voluntary.    That is based upon the
maturity of the student and their past achievements in music.   It should be
required for graduation just as visual quantification is required.   It is
one of the core educational structures that all future structures are built
upon.

REH