From: Harry Pollard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 8, 2003 4:28 AM
To: Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Futurework] The Politics of Foodbanks (or lack thereof)
(was Re: Slightly extended)

Arthur,

When I read it, I agreed with Chris' remarks. Except of course
his aside on protectionism.

There are probably areas almost the size of Switzerland in the US
where there is little crime and living is good.

There are other areas that aren't like that,

However, unless thought is given to the basics such as education,
we will get nowhere with our slapped on social poultices.

Talking with a friend last night who teaches Junior College kids.
When they find he wants written work, they flee to other classes.
He's left with those who can't find another class. He says he
should fail 75% of them but veteran teachers tell him to pass
them through.

Our only hope in the US in many places is to make education
voluntary. Teachers should teach only those who want to learn -
or whose parents want them to learn. Also, teachers should be
allowed tax money to run their own schools. I suggested the
economics of this a week or two ago. (The State could save money
and the teachers would get a hefty raise.

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net