Harry Pollard wrote:

Ray,
I fear I understand it better than you.
The difference is perhaps that you want special privileges for the arts, while I want to end all privileges.

If, as Marshall MLuhan said, artists are the "antennae of the species" -- or, in George Bush lexicon, the early warning radars -- it seems to me that if the "species" does not "susidize" them, it may not have the resources to intelligently (and, beyond intelligence's processing of existing reality: imaginatively know where it wants to go, and, as an IBM motivational slogan from 1978 said:

   No wind blows in favor of that ship which
   has no port of destination.

Every business has departments which are cost centers,
although even these can be looked upon as crucial
contributors to the ability to stay in business or
a fortiori, make a profit.

Since we have "division of labor", the eyes and ears of
our social world belong to different persons than the
arms and legs, etc.

Are you in favor of subsidies for fire departments?
Of course, the police don't need subsidies if they
are permitted to earn their keep thru "tickets" which,
at a certain point, make them seem more like
highwaymen than highway patrolmen....

(The obvious solution is for the artist to be
born to inherited wealth,so that he or she
doesn't need to ask for explicit subsidies.)

\brad mccormick

All of them - and as Krugman suggests, it's not just the Republicans. All of Congress are in for the feast.
If you saw Bill Moyer's guest the other evening you may remember that he laid the blame squarely on Congress.
If you want the the huge profits of the drug companies to end, all you need is a little free trade. Let generics be imported from overseas without restriction. Then HMOs like the Kaiser will be able cheaply to supply their patients.
So, would you give up your privileges if others gave up their?
*Henry George School of Social Science*
*of Los Angeles*
*Box 655 Tujunga CA 91042*
*Tel: 818 352-4141 -- Fax: 818 353-2242*
*http://haledward.home.comcast.net <http://haledward.home.comcast.net/>*