Ray,

I too am tired of playing word games.

A name should be used to describe a defined concept - if one is to communicate. I have described many times the defined concept to which I attach the word 'privilege'.

Among the qualities that make a good law is "it should apply equally to each person".

However, legislators make "laws" that do not apply equally to everyone. To these I attach the name privilege and that's the way I use it.

"A privilege is legislation that gives to one at the expense of another."

That's all. It's a kind of Zen One-Way Exchange. Wealth passes in one direction. Nothing comes back in return.

A dictionary is a record of common usage. People may attach a word to a dozen meanings, or 50 meanings (as you found). It's a reason why discussion and debate can be so frustrating. Two discussants may each think the other is stupid for not 'getting' the obvious. Yet, though they use the same words, their meanings are different.

They may each speak English, yet each is speaking a different language. They pass in the night without a contact.

But, you know that.

Concentration of Wealth and Power comes directly from privilege.

Acquiring great wealth takes a lot of exertion and thought and along the way, a rational individual will stop such efforts and be satisfied with what he has because other things become more important than working his life away.

The return from privilege accrues without effort. It might easily be spent (from riches to rags). But a sensible privilege holder will save the privilege return and buy more privilege, thus increasing the return he gets without effort. This is the way the great fortunes were built - and the way they still are.

Everyone knows about the industrial revolution with its Satanic Mills and unbelievably bad conditions for workers - as young as 6 working in the coal mines. But they should have read Marx, who pointed out that the industrial revolution was financed by the landholders of Britain.

So, everyone maligns Joe Shark - the dirty capitalist who treats his workers shabbily, but everyone adores Lord Peter Popsicle who lives in the large mansion on the hill and who, on occasion, will give philanthropic help to Shark's workers.

The workers don't think that their poor conditions might stem from the largesse Shark has to give Popsicle  for his factory and the right to use Popsicle land.

How are the great fortunes made? Well, Carlyle put it better than anyone:

"The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner. A perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging at the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract from her the third nettle, and call it rent."

It's that third nettle that's the rub. It's built the great fortunes that swallow additional privileges from compliant legislatures and make a "people's democracy" an object of derision.

But, you know that too.

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net