At 23:11 10/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Harry, don't even mention the show 'Survivor' to me.  I see it as absolute American crap, like the "Stench of America".  There's nothing in it that even remotely bears any resemblance of the reality of hunters and gatherers.

Ed

My God, yes!  You really do disappoint me sometimes, Harry. There are many things on TV that one looks at for 5 minutes and then never ever want to see it again. Crap is hardly the word. Many TV shows reflect a society that has become disembowelled with consumerism. (Now there's a word I use a lot. But "consumerism" doesn't have ad hominem overtones because we are all consumers and we are all taken in to a greater or lesser extent. We need a society in which consumer goods are on tap but not on top.)

Keith

----- Original Message -----
From: Harry Pollard
To: 'Ed Weick' ; 'Keith Hudson'
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 5:15 PM
Subject: RE: Slightly extended (was Re: [Futurework] David Ricardo, Cavema n Trade vs. Modern Trade

Ed,

Another good discussion.

I see little network television, but one I try to see is Survivor. In it, people are voted out of the tribe. Those that remain try to "survive" until the final episode when the winner gets $1 million.  (Remember the $64,000 question?)

One member was a good catcher of fish and they enjoyed the food he supplied. Yet, he was also so good generally that the others felt they would never win if he remained in the tribe.

So he was voted off. Yet, the worries of the others centered on the lack of fish that would follow his dismissal. The crucial factor was that there was only a week or two remaining.

If the tribe had looked to a longer life, I'm sure they would never have let him go. His "hunter/gatherer" abilities were too good.

Interesting.

Henry George School of Social Science
of Los Angeles
Box 655  Tujunga  CA  91042
Tel: 818 352-4141  --  Fax: 818 353-2242
http://haledward.home.comcast.net