Hi Chris:

Well, I think you are wrong.  The concept is Canadian -mostly in the idea of
Universality.  We don't prevent the healthy from having Medicare, for we
accept that ill health may come at any time to anyone.  So too, poverty.
What Basic Income is attempting to do, is to put a floor on poverty.  That
floor would prevent a thousand ills.  Homelessness, inadequate diet, lack of
work schemes, an assured base income could be used if you wanted to go back
to school, build a house or write a poem, etc.

It would also release a tremendous amount of creativity, life skills and
energy that is now tied up in trying to keep your head above water.  The
poor are not dumb or stupid but they are time and opportunity stressed to
the nth degree.  A basic income should be a human right, for it is at the
base of the right to survive which should be every humans right.  It also
would give dignity and self respect to everyone for acknowledging their
right to existence as a participant on the planet earth.

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde