From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 7:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] FW Basic Income sites

Thomas Lunde wrote:
> Well, I think you are wrong.  The concept is Canadian -mostly in the idea
of
> Universality.

Then introduce that Canadian concept in Canada and see if it's affordable.
If it works, other countries may copy it.  (My system is already working
since decades, btw.)

>  We don't prevent the healthy from having Medicare, for we
> accept that ill health may come at any time to anyone.  So too, poverty.

Thanks for making my point.  Medicare pays if and when illness comes,
but your GBI pays always, also to those who don't need it.  To remain
in your analogy, you propose that Medicare pays the same monthly support
to patients in intensive hospital care and to perfectly healthy persons.
Makes no sense, and is unaffordable.  Medicare can only (barely) afford
paying for necessary treatments, and the same principle applies to welfare
payments.

> What Basic Income is attempting to do, is to put a floor on poverty.  That
> floor would prevent a thousand ills.  Homelessness, inadequate diet, lack
of
> work schemes, an assured base income could be used if you wanted to go
back
> to school, build a house or write a poem, etc.

Going back to school or building a house with a GBI ??  How many thousand
dollars per month are you thinking of ?

> It would also release a tremendous amount of creativity, life skills and
> energy that is now tied up in trying to keep your head above water.  The
> poor are not dumb or stupid but they are time and opportunity stressed
> the nth degree.

These problems should be addressed at the roots, not by tinkering with
symptoms while perpetuating the causes.  E.g., abolish injust things like
heredity, and tax bad things like pollution instead of productivity.
But instead, taxing productivity is what the GBI crowd suggests.
Lazy heirs and polluters must be laughing all the way to the bank --
instead of ending their abuse, you want to give them even more money
for nothing.

As for creativity, the proverb is "necessity is the mother of invention",
not "welfare cheques to those who don't need them  are the mother of
invention"...

Chris