Harry Pollard wrote:
Arthur,

In all ways they are better off.

If your boss offered to double your salary even as he increased the manager’s salary by four times, would you refuse it?

I doubt it, for you would know you were better off with a double salary.

Wouldn’t you?
[snip]

If somebody ofered to suffocate you in a plastic bag right
now or just steal your wallet, whoud you refuse it?

I doubt it, or you would know you were better off breathing
than suffocating.

Why don't you address more of the issues, Harry, e.g., that it's
not generally fair for the Zeks to get  crumbs while the
a--holes get fresh baked bread.  And, please dont'
get me wrong, I'm sure there are a few managers
whom I would feel really deserve on the merits to
get 4X what I get. I've worked for 2 (well, 1-1/2...) such managers.

But I think you got it right: We have a language problem.

I recently orered a book about Erasmus: _Friends have all
things in common_ -- that's not what "free markets"
are about, but, yes, given the forced choice,
if I cannot live in peer friendship, I'd rather
have free markets than be an inmate in Auschwitz or the Gulag.

But, of course, I'd much rather have free markets and be
a captain of industry than be an hourly employee. So much
depends on what person's belly you (i.e., I...) emerged
from, for no person has anything to do with where
they start out in this world, i.e., whether they
stand on the shoulders of giants or under the
boots of flunky functionaries.

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]