According to BBC Radio 4 this morning, some are wondering how it was that Saddam was captured alive. M'mm .... I've wondered about that, too.  If the Americans allow him an even half-way fair trial (as, say, with Milosevich in The Hague War Crimes Tribunal) and Saddam decides to defend himself (he's articulate enough for that) it will cause some considerable embarrassment to America in view of former relationship.  They would love to have killed him -- and were expecting to, I imagine. All I can think of is that the first soldiers who found him didn't realise he was Saddam and thought he was the house servant or similar.

On reflection, just before I posted this, I think that Saddam will die before reaching trial.

Keith Hudson

Keith Hudson, Bath, England, <www.evolutionary-economics.org>