Title: Pollard Information Services

This was the Iraqi transcript  of  the  conversation  between  Saddam,

Tariq Azizhis, and April Glaspie,  the  American  Ambassador.  It  was

translated by the New York Times. ------------------------------------

Sept. 23rd, 1990

[HP: Although we "backed" Iraq, apparently it was not enough to quench

the desire for "better relations.]

GLASPIE: As you know, he (the president) directed  the  United  States

Administration  to  reject  the  suggestion  of   implementing   trade

sanctions.

HUSSEIN: There is nothing left for us to buy from America. Only wheat.

Because every time we want to buy something, they say it is forbidden.

I am afraid that one  day  you  will  say,  "You  are  going  to  make

gunpowder out of wheat."

GLASPIE: I have a direct instruction from the President to seek better

relations with Iraq.

[HP: As we are told constantly, the  US  gave  the  "green  light"  to

Saddam to invade Kuwait. Here is the "green light]

GLASPIE: I think I understand this. I have lived  here  for  years.  I

admire your extraordinary efforts to rebuild your country. I know  you

need funds. We understand that and our opinion is that you should have

the opportunity to rebuild your country. But we have no opinion on the

Arab-Arab conflicts, like your border disagreement with Kuwait.

I was in the American Embassy in Kuwait  during  the  late  60's.  The

instruction we had during this period was that we  should  express  no

opinion on this issue and  that  the  issue  is  not  associated  with

America. James Baker has directed our official spokesmen to  emphasize

this instruction. We  hope  you  can  solve  this  problem  using  any

suitable methods via Klibi or via President Mubarak. All that we  hope

is that these issues are solved quickly.

[And]

GLASPIE: Frankly, we can see  only  that  you  have  deployed  massive

troops in the south. Normally that would not be any of  our  business.

But when this happens in the context of what you said on your national

day, then when we read the details in the two letters of  the  Foreign

Minister, then when we see the Iraqi point of view that  the  measures

taken by the U.A.E. and Kuwait is, in the final analysis, parallel  to

military aggression against Iraq, then it would be reasonable  for  me

to be concerned.

----

[HP: The "suitable methods" were talks with  those  Arab  leaders.  In

fact during the conversation they discussed the upcoming talks.  There

was certainly no "green light" given for an invasion of Kuwait. Here's

more on the suitable methods.]

GLASPIE: Mr. President, it would be helpful if you could  give  us  an

assessment of the effort made by your Arab brothers and  whether  they

have achieved anything.

HUSSEIN: On this subject, we agreed with President  Mubarak  that  the

Prime Minister of Kuwait would meet with the deputy  chairman  of  the

Revolution  Command  Council  in  Saudi  Arabia,  because  the  Saudis

initiated contact with us, aided by President  Mubarak's  efforts.  He

just telephoned me a short while ago to say the Kuwaitis  have  agreed

to that suggestion.

GLASPIE: Congratulations.

HUSSEIN: A protocol meeting will be held in  Saudi  Arabia.  Then  the

meeting will be transferred to Baghdad for deeper discussion  directly

between Kuwait and Iraq. We hope we will reach some  result.  We  hope

that the long-term view and the real interests will  overcome  Kuwaiti

greed.

GLASPIE: May I ask you when you expect Sheik Saad to come to Baghdad?

HUSSEIN: I suppose it would be on Saturday or Monday at the latest.  I

told brother Mubarak that the agreement should be in Baghdad  Saturday

or Sunday. You know that brother Mubarak's visits have always  been  a

good omen.

[The Ambassador - I want to say Ambassadress, but that would  probably

be sexist or something - was concerned about  troop  movements  toward

Kuwait, but pleased about talks  to  defuse  the  situation.  So,  the

'green light' was given to the talks that were taking place. ]

Henry George School of Social Science

of Los Angeles

Box 655   Tujunga   CA   91042

Tel: 818 352-4141   --   Fax: 818 353-2242

http://haledward.home.comcast.net