On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 07:59:58PM +0200, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>   Hi.
>
> I just reported Emacs crashing on the emacs-devel mailinglist. The gist
> of it is that when I iconify Emacs and move the mouse over the icon,
> Emacs crashes - but only if I compile Emacs with gtk3. With gtk2 it
> doesn't crash.
>
>  * http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/144994
>
> The output includes "X protocol error: BadMatch (invalid parameter
> attributes) on protocol request 42" which - by searching - seems to be a
> problem with calling X_SetInputFocus()¹.

Right -- and that's client-specific which means if they try and call that
when the window is iconfied, it won't work unless all other children have
been mapped -- essentially the window it's expecting to set focus for is in
the iconic state, not the normal state.  The window wasn't found, and in
such cases, a BadMatch is always generated.

> Now, looking in Emacs' sources, it seems that Emacs don't call that
> itself, rather the window manager does.

No.

> Which prompted me to write this email: Do you see any way that it might
> be a buglet in fvwm causing this?
>
> My first suspects are Emacs and gtk3 of course, but I thought I'd run it
> by this mailinglist as well.
>
> Any ideas of how to get to the bottom of this will be much appreciated.

FVWM is not the cause of this from what you're telling me here.

Emacs *has* to handle the case of a BadMatch in its own code, is the only
thing I can think of.  If it's not doing that (and do not expect me to go
anywhere near the source of Emacs to look), it's already a bug.

That's not to say there's something inherent in GTK3 which is also
triggering this, but don't expect me to check that either.  :P

Oh -- ISTR your mentioning running 2.5.30 -- if this is due to Debian being
out of date, you've no excuse to not upgrade to 2.6.3, and try this all
again.  Note that I am only-ever interested in corefiles from FVWM.

Applications in the way you've described them, simply do not fall under
FVWM's remit for bug-fixing.

FVWM is not here to circumvent such bugs.

-- Thomas Adam