On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 12:22:43PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:36:40PM +0200, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> > I was merely asking if anyone here could imagine something in FVWM being
> > the problem (as I guess FVWM is the most unconventional thing in my
> > setup, and nobody else seems to have reported this crash), so I could
> > rule that out - I wasn't trying to command you to check anything.
>
> No that's fine.  I just wasn't sure if you were expecting input on anything
> outside of FVWM, because this really isn't a fault of FVWM, so I wasn't sure
> why you were asking questions about it here.
>
> I wonder though if Emacs is setting WM_TAKE_FOCUS in an inappropriate way --
> because there is one limited case where we might try and use FOCUS_SET() --
> humour me, and get me the output for emacs from running "xprop", both on the
> normal window and its iconified window (assuming it doesn't crash -- you
> might need to set "NeverFocus" for this.)  In fact, does setting NeverFocus
> in general stop Emacs from crashing?

I looked in to this -- it's a problem in GTK3.  Have filed a bug upstream
with a patch, hopefully this will fix it, although a similar patch for
completeness in Emacs to handle a BadMatch condition, would still need to
happen for belt-and-braces.  I do not know though, if this has been done,
and I am not prepared to check either.

Net result:  never was FVWM's problem.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Deep in my heart I wish I was wrong.  But deep in my heart I know I am
not." -- Morrissey ("Girl Least Likely To" -- off of Viva Hate.)