On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 03:27:16PM -0400, Peter G wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Dominik Vogt <dominik.v...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > 2) Add a style option to unsubscribe from PropertyNotify events
> >    after a couple have been read (to allow the application to set
> >    some hints at startup).
> >
> Probably 2 would be the easiest to implement? ... and is probably least
> evil as it I guess there would be little impact on other apps that can
> behave themselves. Maybe this style option could take a number of events it
> should tolerate before unsubscribing. Also, maybe another input could be a
> time interval, over which the events would be disregarded... so that after
> this time elapses, the application would start responding to the
> PropertyNotify again.

Yes, least evil, but also potentially unreliable (when the events
are already queued it's too late).  Re-enabling events after a
period of time would be a complex

> I would be really interesting to see how gnome (metacity?) seems to deal
> with this - I can try to see if there is anything obvious in their code.

I guess other wms just hang for as long as fvwm does with the
first patch or maybe twice as long or a bit shorter.  After all,
the situation got really bad only because I tried to be smart and
flush the queue.  :-/

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--