> > around line 246 i skip a lot of the same events...
> >
> > then after line 511 i kill maple.
>
> I assume you mean line 411?

no, i really mean 511. Whenever you see a like like:

(gnome-settings-daemon:2443): color-plugin-WARNING **: Done switch to new
account, reload devices

that's when I switch to a different terminal.

> > ..things now come back quickly - seems you're "flushing" the left over
> > events.
>
> Hrm, I just added another flush call in the case XGetGeometry()
> fails.  I wonder why that catches 26k events per atom, when before
> the application was killed it weeded out only between 1 and 50
> events per call.
>
> When you run "top", you see only fvwm using a noticeable amount of
> cpu, and not the application?

correct:
2337 me  20   0  145m  37m 5216 R  100  0.2   4:14.07 fvwm

> Tomorrow I'll write my own application that generates these events.
> I hope with that I can debug the situation myself.

ok...i suppose you don't have access to maple 18? if so, i could send you
the worksheet that causes this.

thanks.