On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 11:05:23AM -0700, elliot s wrote:

> If a conversion script can convert the current rc file to a code
> friendly format, can a front end parser do that instead, so that we
> keep the current user friendly format?

Usually conversion scripts aren't perfect, so I don't know how workable
this is.

But let me also add my two cents and desperately plead for backward
compatibility. Or at least a conversion script that is pretty pretty
good.

When Python decided to break backward compatibility in version 3, they
completely fragmented the user base. Despite them supplying a conversion
script! It has been 8 years now, and adoption of python 3 is far from
universal. Please don't follow suite and fragment the Fvwm user base as
well.

Debian popularity contest shows that the Fvwm user base now is about
1500, just a hair above what it was in 2008:

    https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=fvwm

So Fvwm isn't gaining too many new users. If backward incompatible
changes fragment the current user base even more I'll be a little
worried.

Thanks,

GI

--
He often broke into song because he couldn't find the key.