On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 21:32 (-0500), Peter G wrote:

> On 5/27/20 4:58 PM, Thomas Adam wrote:
>> On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 04:41:08PM -0500, peter g wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone:
>> Hello!

>>> i have a frustrating issue with fvwm and casting from google's chrome, that
>>> maybe somebody has a workaround for.

>>> Normally, under any other WM i've tried (and also on windows), in the chrome
>>> browser, choosing "Cast", will pop up a small window that asks the user what
>>> device to cast to. Unfortunately in fvwm that little window with those
>>> options does not show up.

>>> I've tried both with my config, but also with a very fvwm config such as:
>>> key c  A CM FvwmConsole
>>> key r  A CM Restart
>>> Key u  A CM Exec xterm

>>> If anyone has a work around, that would be much appreciated, as casting, for
>>> better or worse, is very useful to me.
>> Well, if it's a transient window, it will (by default) popup along side the
>> parent window.  That said, you can try:

>> BugOpts ExplainWindowPlacement On

>> in your ~/.fvwm2rc file, and monitor stderr to see what FVMM thinks of your
>> missing window.

> Thanks, I've tried that.

> Doesn't show anything (I know that option is working, as I get the debug
> info for other windows). As pointed out in another email, that "cast" window
> might indeed be a chrome internal window... what bothers me though, is why
> it shows up in other window managers.

I haven't tried another window manager, but for what it's worth, the
cast window does not show up for me in google-chrome.

By the way, are you running these different window managers on the
same Linux distro?  Or is it possible you are using fvwm on one Linux,
and other window managers on a different Linux distro?

Cheers.
                                Jim