seventh guardian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On 11/7/05, Dan Espen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > seventh guardian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I've already posted a bug report on the fvwm mailing list some weeks
> > > ago regarding this, but no one answered. Today I switched to
> > > xorg-7.0.0 and the problem is still there, so it must be fvwm.
> > >
> > > The problem I found is related to the composite extension of xorg:
> > > when I run xcompmgr (the composite manager) fvwm looses the
> > > screen-scrolling abillity to the right and down. I mean, after running
> > > "xcompmgr" from the command line, you can no longer scroll (by placing
> > > the cursor on the screen edge) to the right or down. And even after
> > > killing the composite manager the problem persists. The left and up
> > > scrolling work fine.
> > >
> > > Also, if you restart fvwm, even with xcompmgr running, things go back
> > > to normal. So it must be something on the start of xcompmgr... Other
> > > wm's work flawlessly.
> > >
> > > I'm using a patched version of fvwm from the gentoo portage: it has
> > > the "translucency" patch applied. So if any of you are using a
> > > composite manager and it works ok with the unpatched fvwm, please let
> > > me know.
> > >
> > > Is there anything else I can do to help tracking the bug?
> >
> > Edge scrolling works by Fvwm creating invisible windows around the
> > screen borders.  xcompmgr must be interferring with them somehow.
> >
> > Try changing the 'edgethickness' to see if that helps.
> >

> No, it's the same. I forgot to mention, I can drag windows between
> screens and it works fine. Only the "empty handed" scroll doesn't
> work.
>
> > Run xwininfo -root -all to see if there is a window in the way.
>
> I really don't know how to read the output, and as it is quite large,
> here's a diff from both before and after running xcompmgr (command:
> "diff before after -U 10")
>
> As I can see, the "exposure" thing is related to the composite
> manager, so that part shouldn't matter. Appart from that, I can only
> say that some things, I supose they are windows, are disapearing when
> xcompmgr is executed. Restarting fvwm makes them come back..
>
> What do you think the problem is?

I have no clue.

I tried running it on my system.
Everything slowed down, the root turned black,
it continually printed error messages,
menus wouldn't clear when they displayed.
When I moved the mouse to the screen edge, the
pointer changed as it should but it didn't look like it scrolled.

I can't use the system while it's running, so I don't think I can
find out much more.

--
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]