On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 10:10:01PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> import utility from ImageMagick without parameters works well.
> With -frame it behaves strangely now. It worked well some time ago.
> It seems that import and fvwm do not agree about what is window frame.
>
> On my machine "import -frame image.gif" on xv or xcalc produces an image
> without client window (it is empty). If trying to capture xterm, it exits
> with "Can't allocate memory" error. rxvt being captured does not exit
> itself, but eats all memory and then is killed by kernel.
>
> Tried with ImageMagick-5.2.2 and ImageMagick-5.3.3 - the same problems.
> Tried with fvwm-2.2.5 and fvwm-2.3.22 - everything is fine.

For me it works but does weird things (how do I find out the IM
version?).  With an rxvt window, the client part of the window is
shifted about 23.5 rows upwards and 10 columns to the left before
the image is captured.  With xterm it is the same.  An xv client
window is reduced to about 10 pixels in height before capturing.
The windows stay in the screwed up state until they get a
ConfigureNotify (e.g.  after moving or resizing the window).  The
frame is included in the image in both cases.

To me it seems that import is making assumptions about the
internal layout of the window manager frame and fiddles with
windows of other clients.  This looks pretty broken to me, but I
will look at what happens in fvwm anyway.

Dominik Vogt, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20