On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 11:35:27AM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 04 Aug 2001 16:15:37 +0700, Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov wrote:
> >
> >     First, is it possible to do a Windows-3.1-like windows and menus?  The
> > problem with borders is that in case of "BorderStyle -- flat" handles are
> > invisible even without "HiddenHandles".  The accompanying problem with menus
> > is that there's only "BorderWidth" flag, without an ability to switch
> > 3D-ness off (with Nops too).  Both seems to be caused by lack of
> > "BorderColor" concept.  Am I missing something?
>
> Windows have "BorderColor" concept. Style * [Hilight]BorderColorset.
>
> Menus have "BorderColor" concept (kind of) using MenuStyle MenuColorset
> and ActiveColorset; you may specify sh and hi colors in these colorsets.
>
> I don't remember how should look windows-3.1 windows and menus, so I can't
> say whether something is missing to fully or partially emulate the look.
> It is hard to believe someone is interesting in microsoft solutions. :)

It simply has 2D borders.  It looks a bit like a wire frame around
the windows.  You can get the same effect if you choose sh/hi
colours on the border appropriately, e.g.

  bg = black
  sh = white
  hi = white

> >     Second, is it possible to create an "if-then-else" construct in a
> > function?  I tried to emulate the behaviour of Win9x's TaskBar, which can be
> > described as:
> >
> >     if (Iconic  ||  !Raised)
> >     {
> >         Iconify Off
> >         Raise
> >         Focus
> >     }
> >     else
> >     {
> >         Iconify On
> >     }
> >
> > (i.e. deiconify if iconified, otherwise raise of not raised, otherwise
> > iconify).
>
> We discussed adding shell abilities to fvwmrc two years ago and the
> decission was not to do this, since preprocessors and PipeRead can do it.

How about this enhancement to conditional commands:

  Next (conditions) { false-action } true-action

This would allow an "else" case in all conditional commands
without the need to store a return code of these commands.  For
example:

  AddToFunc ToggleWindow
  + I Next ($0) { Exec $0 } Close

> >     AddToFunc "Deiconify-Raise-Focus"
> >     + "I" Iconify Off
> >     + "I" Raise
> >     + "I" Focus
> >     AddToFunc "Deiconify-or-Raise-or-Iconify"
> >     + "I" Current (Iconic) Deiconify-Raise-Focus
> >     + "I" Current (!Raised) Raise
> >     + "I" Current (Raised, !Iconic) Iconify On

  AddToFunc Deiconify-Raise-Focus
  + I Iconify Off
  + I Raise
  + I Focus
  AddToFunc "Deiconify-or-Raise-or-Iconify"
  + I Current (Raised, !Iconic) { Deiconify-Raise-Focus } Iconify on