On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 08:36:27PM +0700, Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov wrote:
>     BTW, would it be possible to make --enable-multibyte a default in 2.4.1?
>
>     As I understand, most of the people are lucky with 8859-1, but that's
> not the case for us, koi8-r'ers.  In most of the modern apps (Netscape is
> most popular) russian titles are displayed as raw 2022 strings, i.e. the
> titles are interweaved with "koi8-r" strings and 2022 escapes.  (Sure, my
> students now better understand how i18n works in X, but I'd prefer them to
> use their time for other work.)
>
>     Is there something critical and untested in multibyte code?

The whole multibyte support is basically untested :-)  I can't
remember the minute details, but there are several places where
internationalised strings are not yet handled.  Then there was
this font problem you reported a while ago.  Finally, it's
implemented using dozens of ifdefs all over the code.  This can
not be the final solution.  A library like implementation like the
Xinerama library is needed.  This includes a font/fontlist
management module that hides the details from the caller.