On 4 Aug 2001, at 13:31, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> Dmitry, you use Pegasus Mail. I don't know whether you noticed, but this
> mailer is the only one (there is also /bin/mail) that does not support
> threads. When you get dozens of emails daily, threads are essential.
> Most mailers (I can list 20) support In-reply-to: header (used to
> show threads), some also support References: header (this is used by mail
> archives to add links to related messages, usually to all parents).
>
> Take a look at http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0107/threads.html .
> You always start a new thread although most of messages are Re: ones.
>
> Is it an option to change your mailer to a more standard-compliant one?
> I can suggest pine for DOS, but there are more (I didn't use any though).
> I know it may be a pain. But it was your decision (a bad decision :) )
> to use a non free software, patching a free program to set In-reply-to:
> header in replies should not take more than an hour.
>
> P.S. I remember pmail in 1993, a nice colorfull pseudographics text toy.

As a member of the Pegasus Mail tech support team, I do take exception to that
remark.

Pegasus Mail is live & well, and works just fine.  You will find it supports
In-reply-to
headers.  It is considered the most RFC compliant mail-tool on the market.
Most of its
problems have to do with non-compliant messages from outlook.  (basically
forcing
non-compliance so that other mail tools are not compatable). (And its free!!)

<Pause...While I go scan headers>

Eee Gads.  Dmitry.  You are using Pegasus Mail 3.50 for Dos???  Alas, that
version is
no longer supported.  The lastest version is 3.12c for windows.  Version 4.0 is
due out
within the next several weeks (that is the version I am using now).

You should seriously consider upgrading (www.pmail.com).  But, if DOS is the
requirement 3.50 should work just fine for you.  I'll check to see if 3.50
supports reply-
to.

Mike

---
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To obtain my PGP public key, mail "SEND PUB KEY" in the
subject to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"