On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> Is it really necessary to pass function return codes through
> global variables?  If we do this now we will regret it some day.

        That's just a logical consequence of current CMD_fff calling
convention.  I really investigated if globals can be avoided, but there is
*no* per-call structure to hold the return value.

        And yes, there is an obvious case when this solution would break
-- if someday fvwm will allow concurrent execution of functions (AFAIK,
currently it does so in an "interrupt" fashion, so that saving/restoring
the state in execute_complex_function() is enough).