On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 06:59:56PM +0700, Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> > >   IMHO these two approaches aren't contradictory
> >
> > That's true, but I don't think we would want to develop a
> > second syntax.  My idea was to support maximizing/moving/resizing
> > only with the new, X geometry like syntax and phase out the old
> > one.
>
>       Okay, but there are two issues.
>
>       First, while the geometry syntax is "mathematically" okay, it is
> just too complicated (messy?) for an ordinary user -- like a Perl program
> for a person which knows only Pascal.  I don't want to say that users are
> silly, but "640pxgrow-5+0p" is a bit too much.

Well, the ordinary user would not use that syntax at all but stick
with

  Maximize on
  Maximize on 100 0
  Maximize on 0 100

Anyway, as nice as a common syntax for all the resizing/moving
commands would be, its not the proper time to do this.

>       BTW, this syntax employs latin letters for three different uses:
> 1) unit size ("p"); 2) keywords ("grow"); 3) times/multiplication operator
> ("x"); and all these go without any separators.  While this is definitely
> parseable, it isn't very fancy and is too error-prone.

Yes, and my X11 book says: "If the [parse]string is not in Host
Portable Character Encoding, the result is
implementation-dependent."

>       Anyway, can you please post a formal definition of new syntax,
> like a BNF?

No, I can't.  I don't even know the correct definition of the
standard X11 geometry spec.

>       Sorry for only criticizing, but I yet have to find out some
> reasonable suggestions.

Let's skip my idea for now and update the old syntax.

>       Second, due to compatibility reasons, the old syntax should still
> be supported.

Of course.  I only though about not writing new features for the
old syntax.