fvwm-workers@fvwm.org wrote:

> I like that idea.  The only thing I can't imagine is:  how can we begin
>  to implement such a monster of a feature?  Yes, it would simplify
> a *lot* of code.  But to me it looks like a much greater challenge
> than the infamous GSFR (Great Style Flag Rewrite) several years ago.

Well, the GSFR was a great success! maybe a trial is on order:

* Write a WindowStyle command that just understands Sticky/Slippery,
  copy/paste from the Style command.
* Write a NewStyle command that manipulates the StyleFunction function,
  don't worry about DestroyStyle and optimizing the function yet.
* Write a wrapper for Style that strips out any Sticky/Slippery options
  and passes them to a NewStyle command, Pass the other options to the
  old style command (this may be quite hard and will be thrown away
  later so maybe just a really simple version would be OK e.g. only pass
  to NewStyle if the command is just "Style <pattern> Sticky")
* Add the dynamic update of Sticky/Slipppery to the NewStyle command.

This should result in the Style commands with Sticky/Slippery bahaving
exactly as the old way. If nothing unexpected turns up then we can
proceed as follows:

* Add all the other style flags to the WindowStyle command.
* Add multiple comma-seperated options to the WindowStyle command.
* Remove the old Style command.
* Remove the Style wrapper and rename NewStyle to Style.
* Work out a method for DestroyStyle.
* Use the above method to optimize the StyleFunction.
* Test it to bits.

I'm sure I've missed out something important, hopefully doing a simple
trial will make it obvious.

Cheers,
Tim.