On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 04:17:17PM +0000, Tim Phipps wrote:
> Hi All,
>       Here's a patch to make FvwmButtons understand this:
>
> FvwmCommand "SendToModule FvwmButtons Title 5 You have Mail!"
>
> Buttons are numbered from 0 and are in the order in your config file
> (containers don't count).

That doesn't work as you think.  The buttons are counted from left
to right, top to bottom:

Regardless if I use

  *FvwmButtons(5x1+0+0, Action `Menu RootMenu`)
  *FvwmButtons(5x1+5+0, Action `Menu ModuleMenu`)

or

  *FvwmButtons(5x1+5+0, Action `Menu ModuleMenu`)
  *FvwmButtons(5x1+0+0, Action `Menu RootMenu`)

the RootMenu button always gets 0 and the ModuleMenu button gets
1.  I think the numbering is based on the position of the button.
My FvwmButtons looks like this:

  |    |    |    | ||        ||         |          |
  ------------------|        |----------|          |
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |        |          |          |
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |        |          |          |
  ------------------|        |          |          |
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |        |----------|          |
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |        |          |          |

It can be quite difficult to find ot the correct button numbers.

> It only works with buttons that have a title

Do buttons inside containers count too?

> in the config file (could be " ") and I haven't tested it with anything
> other than a simple button (just a title, no icon or swallows).
>
> I've stuffed the new code into FvwmButtons.c which is probably the wrong
> place.

I lika that patch :-)  Consider it applied.  The next logical
thing to do would be to change the pixmap of a button.

> PS I think I can get rid of all my swallowed (non-fvwm) apps except
> xload with this.

Please don't forget to include ChangeLog entries and the man page.