The message from Malte Schuenemann made me think about the
configure summary we have.  His question demonstrates a common
problem:  some library option is disabled and the user wonders
what it is good for in the first place.  Even I don't know which
features are disabled if a certain option is turned off.  Let's
take a look:

  With Bi-directional text support?
    "Bi-directional" may be the right term, but I don't think
    everybody thinks of "hebrew" or "arabic" fonts immediately.

  With Extended Window Manager Hints?
  With GNOME Window Manager Hints?
    The typical user has probably no idea what these do.

  With GTK support for FvwmGtk?
  With GDK Imlib support in FvwmGtk?
  With GNOME support in FvwmGtk?
    None of these is clear.  What happens if they are off?

  With PNG support?
    Ok.  Perhaps "With PNG image/icon support"

  With ReadLine sup. in FvwmConsole?
    What is readline good for?  (Well, *I* know, but many others
    don't).

  With RPlay support in FvwmEvent?
  With Shaped window support?
    Okay.

  With Session Management support?
    Very vague.

  With Stroke support?
    You have to know libstroke to understand this.  Maybe mention
    the commands that are disabled w/o libstroke.  Also, compiling
    w/o libstroke reduces network traffic a lot because
    MotionNotify events are no longer sent.

  With Xinerama support?
    Clear for me, but

  With Xft aa font support?
  With Xrender support?
    ?

  With XPM support?
    Ok.  Perhaps "With XPM image/icon support"

I'm not sure how to provide some additional information.  The
config summary should fit on a single screen, but it won't with
all the new text.  How about putting a note at the end of the
summary:

  For a full explanation of above options, run
    ./configure --help-summary

and dump the full descriptions with the --help-summary option?

Dominik Vogt, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20